Ethos and Provision
Flying High Expressive Arts Company is an ‘open access’ company of young people exploring theatre arts as an expressive medium which will ultimately lead to high quality theatre pieces and performances. Skills and abilities are developed through workshops and performances which are tailored to the individual group of young people and their needs by highly experienced leaders who are trained in acting, dance, musicianship, directing and arts education. The young people are at the centre of the work Flying High does and their wellbeing, building of confidence and enjoyment is paramount.
In additions to weekly workshops, we provide opportunities for students to
- perform in different venues around the country – Mansfield Palace Theatre, Leicester Curve Theatre, The Castle Theatre, Wellingborough, Derby Theatre, Lakeside Theatre, Nottingham Arts Theatre, Nottingham Playhouse, Nottingham Albert Hall, Nottingham Royal Concert Hall, Sheffield Crucible Theatre, The Royal National Theatre, Venues at Edinburgh Festival
- be involved in Festivals - National Youth Theatre Festivals, Edinburgh Festival. Mansfield Music & Drama Festival, National Theatre Connections Festival.
- take exams in Drama, Musical Theatre, Dance e.g. Lamda, Trinity and LCM if there is an interest.
- take part in holiday Performing Arts courses
- work on projects as a Company, developing organisational and managerial skills
- work as assistant workshop leaders with younger groups
- further interest and skills through National organisations e.g. National Youth Theatre, Youth Music Theatre: UK and National Youth Music Theatre
- prepare for auditions / interviews for Higher Education and Drama School.
- explore realistic career pathways in the Performing and Creative Arts Industries
- fund raise for involvement in costly projects
- a partner of County Youth Arts (Gedling Borough)
- a member of NAYT (National Association of Youth Theatres)
- closely involved in projects organised by Dance 4 (Nottingham based East Midlands Dance Agency)
- part of the Nottingham Youth Theatre Network
- a member of the RSC Education / Outreach
- a member of the Royal National Theatre
- a provider of young people for extras in productions at The Theatre Royal / Concert Hall, Nottingham and Nottingham Playhouse